Thursday, December 10, 2009

Snow Day!

During my first few years of teaching, I remember feeling annoyed about snow days. I had things to do. I had exciting lessons planned. Curriculum needed to be covered. There was nothing more important than what I was going to do in my classroom that day. A cancellation would disrupt everyone's learning.

Things have changed.

Now, I wait in joyous anticipation as the radio lists off the bus cancellations. Do I love my job any less? No. I just accept the gift of snow days more graciously. Actually, I've come to my senses.

I no longer worry about the curriculum. Maybe that's because I teach drama and no one but me knows (or cares!) what the curriculum covers. But even in an academic course, a day off for the students now and then can boost everyone's energy. Now, I see snow days as a chance to get all those little things done that keep piling up. I feel refreshed and organized when the kids come back.

Because teachers still go to school on snow days.

However, there's a different energy in the air. Since we're all in separate classrooms most of the day and then fly to extra-curriculars at lunch and after school, there's little time to chat. Staff rooms on snow day mornings are magical places. People linger and laugh with coffee. Love it.

And I like to imagine the kids at home: sleeping in, watching soaps, going sledding. It's all good.

C'mon Mother Nature--one more before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment