Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I'm trying hard not to read right now. I'm on Catching Fire, book two of the Hunger Games Trilogy. I don't want to read because that's ALL I'll do for the rest of the night and I have some things to do. And really, I don't want it all to be over just yet. I was up until 1:00am two nights ago. I love/hate it when this happens.

Here's what I like about these books:

1) post-apocalyptic setting

2) greater themes regarding social justice and distribution of wealth

3) male and female characters are layered, compelling, and mysterious--I can imagine teaching this to a class--both genders would relate

4) violence and danger

5) explore the ethical implications of reality television

6) we get to cheer for the reluctant, adolescent subversive as she defies an authoritarian regime

7) imaginative detail regarding botany and herbal healing

8) cool character names like Gale, Rue, and Glimmer

9) Ms. Collins isn't afraid to kill sympathetic characters

10) THERE'S A LOVE TRIANGLE...TEAM GALE!

I'm just going to go have a "peek" at the next chapter. See you in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment