Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sad Suction

Okay, enough's enough. We've had this vacuum for almost a decade and it has failed us from the start. It's never really worked properly. Mike has fixed it many times and we've taken it to the repair shop on several occasions. I think it just doesn't work anymore.

At the same time, I've been to landfill sites enough times to be able to picture it just lying in a pile of garbage. I think that's why I'm such a pack-rat. I don't keep it for me. I just can't picture this stuff outside in the dump. So much plastic...

How many times do we fix something that just won't work properly? Why can't appliances last longer...like they did in the previous generation? Now, things are designed to break and we go back to buy more, often from the same company.

I've never been particularly hard on this vaccuum. We don't even have carpet. Now, it sounds like a jet taking off--with rocks grinding in the engine. And the suction is sad. The other day it passed over the same piece of lint over and over without picking it up. Honestly...

So, do I pay to fix this AGAIN or do we chuck it? Maybe someone will take it for parts. Who knows? All I know is that a vacuum that isn't even used on carpet should last longer than ten years.

www.thestoryofstuff.com





No comments:

Post a Comment