Thursday, November 5, 2009

Happy Hookin'

Made you look. My girls and I have taken up hooking. It's cheap, easy, and we can do it at home. Yes, I'm talking about rug-hooking.

The summer before last, while on the island, I went with my mother and sister-in-laws to see a traditional rug-hooking studio. The pieces they made were so beautiful, I decided I'd like to learn. Along with two other friends, I signed up for a course at Picket Fence Fabrics in Brockville. Our first project is a "Welcome" sign. I thought it would be funny to pick a more random word like "Surprise." Everyone seemed to want to stick with "Welcome." So predictable...sigh...

We're hoping to move into using recycled fabrics to make rugs..."upcycling!"


Here's Jackie working away at my place (wearing the beautiful sweater she made). She's a bit of a hooking prodigy, having sped past Shari and me. I'm still only on the "O" and Shari's on the "M."

In this photo, Jackie's rug looks a little frightening, like she's writing "OMEN" in blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment